Sunday, July 11, 2010

Things I've liked lately:

-The Simpsons-I can relate to Marge and Lisa and Ms. Crabapple and yes, the cat lady. And sometimes Grandpa Simpson. Haha.
-Willa Cather's "Death Comes for the Archbishop"-I love most literature set in the southwest and Cather is lyrical without being pretentious. And I like stories about good priests, maybe because I admire their stoicism and ascetic lifestyle.
-Lev Grossman's "The Magicians"-If you ever wish that magic was real and that you could really find your way to Narnia you'll like this book. I don't know the next book in the series is out yet but I want to get it.
-KXT 91.7 for letting me hear good good music from old and new artists alike. I love hearing new voices and ideas and songs that aren't dumb or crude or totally cliche.
-Psychology Today-for being interesting and positive
-action movies!!! They make me hyper!
-the movie theater-it's like church for me...I love the whole experience of going-the anticipation, the dark theater, the total break from reality, the emotional reaction to the story...
-reading about my great aunt's son's wildlife center in Arkansas...He "rehabilitates" animals to be released back into the wild and he is a trained falconer and honorary member of some Indian tribe because he rehabed one of their bald eagles...he just seems like a real-life Grizzly Adams and I want to go visit his "zoo" and see his animals....
-realizing all the time that I'm thankful to be alive and to be learning and growing everyday.

Do you ever wish you could wear about half a dozen different hats instead of having just one career? If I had endless resources of money and time and energy I would like to: get a degree in environmental studies/ecology/resource management, attend the Iowa Writer's Workshop, own my own little boutique, be an artisan and learn to weave and do metal work, etc. etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment